Witnessed a ploppy get backed off

I know what you're about to say - they're illegal in VA (and CT), which is an illegal law. I'd rather get caught with a radar detector (and how are they going to catch me ...

With a radar detector detector!

To quote a teenage author of a YouTube video document just such a stop, "Looks like their radar detector detector detected my detector!"

Radio-frequency receivers have resonant circuits in them, just as transmitters do. Such resonant circuits are effectively tiny transmitters. The RF signature of a radar detector is fairly blatant to the right sort of device, and the cops in those states have them.
 
With a radar detector detector!

To quote a teenage author of a YouTube video document just such a stop, "Looks like their radar detector detector detected my detector!"

Radio-frequency receivers have resonant circuits in them, just as transmitters do. Such resonant circuits are effectively tiny transmitters. The RF signature of a radar detector is fairly blatant to the right sort of device, and the cops in those states have them.
However, there are some radar detectors that can't be detected by the detector detector (such as the Valentine 1).
 
That's what radar detectors are for.

I know what you're about to say - they're illegal in VA (and CT), which is an illegal law. I'd rather get caught with a radar detector (and how are they going to catch me, with no wires hanging by my windshield?) than get a speeding ticket.

They have systems for detecting whether you have a radar detector. They used to confiscated them in VA, although I hear that now they may have revised that practice due to law suits based on property rights. BTW, they are now legal in Connecticut. The only places they are not, are VA and Wash, DC.
 
Are radar detectors even relevant now? Last few traps I've seen traps have all been laser, which can't be detected until it's too late.

FWIW, there's a cute app called "trapster" that supposedly alerts you of upcoming speed traps shared by other users. http://www.trapster.com
 
Are radar detectors even relevant now? Last few traps I've seen traps have all been laser, which can't be detected until it's too late.

FWIW, there's a cute app called "trapster" that supposedly alerts you of upcoming speed traps shared by other users. http://www.trapster.com

I have laser detection on my detector; I did not know it was too late once it detected police laser. Thanks for the tip on Trapster; I have a similar product for traffic light and speed cameras.
 
V1 is not immune to the Spectre radar detector detector. V1's own website alludes to the fact that they are not Spectre proof.

http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/AnsweredAlready2.asp

There are other radar detectors that are immune to Spectre though.

It seems like it doesn't matter unless you live in Virginia or Washington, DC, like I do. Unless of course the police go all out to capture citizens using radar detectors? Do they?
 
Interesting. Thanks for the update. Which ones are immune?

Continuing the thread hijack........


Beltronics STiR+ and Escort Redline are probably the most popular right now. But I agree with Aslan. If you are not in an illegal state then it probably doesn't matter much.....Arrows FTW
 
That's what radar detectors are for.

I know what you're about to say - they're illegal in VA (and CT), which is an illegal law. I'd rather get caught with a radar detector (and how are they going to catch me, with no wires hanging by my windshield?) than get a speeding ticket.

They haven't been illegal in CT for years. If you have one and you get caught anyway the cop will definitely not give you a break. But cops haven't been writing warnings anyway, they need the money.

The laser is a problem but the good thing is the cop has to be somewhere in front of you in your line of sight to use it. So if you are driving fast enough, you can swerve and hit him before he has a chance to get back in his car and pursue you. :eek:
 
Valentine one can detect laser too... Maybe not as sensitive. Most state troopers use laser now in ct. Usually it doesn't matter what you have, by the time that laser alarm sounds, it is already too late.

On the other hand laser jammer may work better... However I think it is illegal everywhere....
 
Back
Top